Saturday, January 26, 2008

Hot Toddy



Todd is either preparing for the 2010 winter Olympics in Vancouver or cross country ski trips are the red sports car to his mid-life crisis. Which works out great for me because I'm always looking for an excuse to ride four or five days in a row. Also beneficial for me, Todd is a yoga guru trained under Mr. Bikram himself. He formerly owned a studio in Texas where he stretched the likes of Michael Jordan, Lance Armstrong, and the Dallas Cowboys. Credentials I wont argue with when he's leading a post-riding stretch sesh.
Todd had his man-nurse action figure in tote when we had great days at Northstar, Alpine Meadows, & Sugarbowl followed by a chilly night at Boreal. He always seems to miss the powder by about 24 hours, but we had fun tag-teaming some HUGE kickers the resorts have been sculpting out of their snowpack. Todd hit his first rainbow rail and I landed my first 360s of the year. I also learned if you drop the P word on him there aren't too many cliff littered chutes he won't brave.

~Walking the path of life is like the journey of the tight-rope acrobat. Neither affords the opportunity of absolute certainty, each being constantly in, and out of balance. The objective lies in minimizing the impact of the relentless waves of chaos and creating serenity amidst undulating challenge.
-A Wise Man Nurse

1 comment:

MasterT said...

When I saw on the news that Mother Nature dumped 15ft of fresh powder on Tahoe, my first action was to verify my next string of days off from the hospital and get to Tahoe a.s.a.p. I arrived 10 days later and needless to say it was an absolute ball. Blake was a gracious host and we made the most of 3 days by hitting 4 mountains. Hit my first rail and jump, and some night skiing at Boreal where I froze my stones. Lessons learned? - wear gloves in 20 degree weather and not socks on your hands (thanks for that tip Blake), eat hot wings at night for a good BM the next day during 5 hours of skiing, always carry a roast beef sandwich and Motrin in your pocket, and the person sitting next to you on a ski lift was probably your neighbor several years ago. After 7 days of skiing experience over 40 years (figure that out) I am proud to say my ski resume includes 4 black diamonds and even an "open area". Yes Blake -it's amazing how powerful a motivator the P word is. Just as no one puts baby in the corner, no one calls a man nurse the P word w/o some form of action behind it.